Skip to content

Please note: every line of text on this website has a speaker symbol next to it. This will allow you to listen to an audiotext if reading it is difficult.

Finding and Applying for Schools

Visually impaired child

Whether you are looking for a primary or secondary school, it is important you find a school you are happy with and you feel your child can thrive at.

However, it is also important to note that all mainstream schools provide support for children with SEND (Special Educational Needs or Disabilities) and any school that your child eventually goes to will take their needs seriously and provide appropriate learning opportunities.

There is a difference in how schools admissions works for children with an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) and those with SEND but do not have an EHCP. 

See details below for both.  

Applying for School Without An EHCP

If your child has SEND but not an Education Health and Needs Plan, they should apply for a mainstream school alongside other children their age (this includes primary school and secondary school).

All schools are able to support children with SEND and your child’s pre-school or primary school will help communicate what support your child needs to make sure there is a smooth transition.

It is important to visit the school you would like to send your child to and speak to them about your child’s needs. Ask to meet with the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). All mainstream schools have a duty to meet the needs of children with SEND which is set out in the national SEND Code of Practice:

To apply for a school in East Sussex, please visit the East Sussex County Council Admissions page:

Applying for School With An EHCP

The admissions system for children with EHCP is different; you do not go through the normal admissions system.

Instead, part of the process of obtaining an EHCP involves naming the school you and the team supporting your child feel is the best match for their needs. This means that you can express a preference for the school you want at the time you first get the EHCP or when your child moves to a different phase of education. East Sussex County Council will try to provide a place at the named school.

You can also ask for a change of school at an annual review. 

For more information, please click the link below to visit our pages on:

IPSEA (the Independent Provider of Special Education Advice) offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

They have advice and guidance for parents and carers of children with EHCPs on choosing schools that can be useful to read:

Science lesson

Exploring Which School Is Best Suited to Your Child

There are different way of exploring which schools might be right for your child:


The OFSTED report will outline how well the school was appraised during their last full inspection and includes details of how the inspectors felt the school performed in supporting children with SEND. Most schools will publish their OFSTED reports on the websites, but you can also visit the OFSTED webpage and search for different schools. 

SEND Information Report

The Children and Families Act 2014 says that all maintained schools must publish a Special Educational Needs (SEND) Information Report every year. This report explains how our schools meet the needs of pupils with SEND.

It will be shown on their school website. In the report, each school will explain how they meet their duties towards pupils with special educational needs and disabilities. 

When choosing a school for your child, it can be very helpful to read this report and make a decision. 

Visiting the school

If you feel your child requires specific support, it can be helpful to visit different schools and speak to them about what they offer. This will usually be during an open day alongside other parents and carers. However, you might also want to meet the school SENCo and talk to them about their SEND offer.

Amaze Fact Sheet

Amaze are a local free, independent and impartial service who have created a ‘Choosing a School’ fact sheet, which you can view by clicking the link below:

If your child has an EHCP you will have to decide which kind of educational setting is right for your child in partnership with your Assessment and Planning Officer (APO). Visit our page on Special Schools for more information.

Directory of SEND Educational Settings

Mainstream Schools, Specialist Facilities, and Special Schools

We are fully committed to inclusion and most children and young people with SEND will thrive in their mainstream school. This is a school that provides education for all children, whether or not they have special educational needs or disabilities.  

Some mainstream schools have a specialist facility within them, for example providing additional support for children and young people with speech, language and communication difficulties or autism. This helps meet the needs of children with a higher level of SEND. 

A small number of children and young people with a significant level of needs, which cannot be met in a mainstream school or a specialist facility, may be placed in a special school.

You can find information on mainstream schools, specialist facilities, and special schools in East Sussex in the ‘Apply for a School’ information booklet. You can view this by clicking below:

You can find information about special schools and schools with specialist facilities on the East Sussex Local Offer 1Space directory, which also includes some colleges:

Alternatively, you can search for all educational placements near you using this link:

Mainstream Colleges and Post-16 Providers

The ‘Careers East Sussex’ website outlines education and training opportunities available for young people with SEND, including information about local mainstream colleges and post-16 providers in East Sussex:

Independent and Non-Maintained Special Schools and Colleges

Independent special schools are self-managed and not directly funded by the Local Authority. 

You can find a list of independent and non-maintained special schools (INMS) and colleges using the link below:

Transition Plans

The term ‘education transition’ can be used to describe any changes for your child with special education needs and disability as they are moving into, within, between and out of educational settings.

For more information on transitions, please click below to visit our page on:

Elective Home Education

Home Education, officially known as, Elective Home Education (EHE), refers to the choice by parents to provide education for their children at home instead of sending them to school full-time. Whether this is through making a positive choice to home educate, or in response to circumstances, both journeys are referred to as Elective Home Education.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and you would like to educate them at home, please visit our page on:

If your child doesn’t have an EHC plan, the process is different. For more information on this, please visit:

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

Some of the terms used on this website are explained on our page, 'Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms':

Get in touch