What is the Local Offer?
Describing the Local Offer
The East Sussex Local Offer is this website and a directory, which provides information about what support is available for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), and for their families.
The East Sussex Local Offer consists of:
- this information site, that outlines how different SEND processes work
- a SEND-specific directory listing local and online services, which you can find on East Sussex 1Space
The Government asks that all local authorities (in our case, East Sussex County Council) provide information as clearly as possible so that parents, carers, children and young people can make informed decisions.
This information must:
- cover the whole range of services and support available
- explain how different processes work
- explain where children, young people, parents and carers can go for advice and guidance
We have created leaflets explaining the East Sussex Local Offer that can be shared digitally, or printed and handed out:
- Download the East Sussex Local Offer flyer - Feb 2023 (interactive) PDF
- Download the East Sussex Local Offer flyer - Feb 2023 (printable) PDF
What the Law Says About the Local Offer
There are a number of laws that govern the Local Offer.
The laws were created to ensure that professionals fulfilled their duty to cooperate between services for the benefit of families and young people. This includes:
- The Children’s and Family Act 2014 which sets out that Local Authorities must have a Local Offer.
- SEND Code of Practice (CoP) 2014/15 (Chapter 4 details what information each local authority is expected to provide within it's Local Offer.
- Equality Act 2010
- The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014 (part 4)
As part of ensuring all sectors and services are co-operating and working together to improve outcomes for children and young people with SEND, the government has asked Ofsted to carry out local area SEND inspections.
How the Local Offer Website Was Designed
East Sussex Local Offer has been designed and written through a process of consultation with:
- Parents, carers, children and young people
- The East Sussex Parent Carer Forum (ESPCF) and Amaze
- Service leads from a number of SEND services in East Sussex
- School and health professionals
The information on this site will continue to evolve and be updated. If you are interested in feeding back on any particular part of the site, or would like to look at ways to contribute, please visit our page Have Your Say.
The Local Offer Moving Forward
We will need feedback, thoughts and ideas from residents of East Sussex to help continue improving the East Sussex Local Offer.
Whether you are very experienced in the area of SEND or if you are new to the topic, we really want to hear back from everyone. You can find out how you can share your thoughts with us on our page, Getting the East Sussex Sussex Local Offer Right.
Surrounding Counties Local Offer
East Sussex shares borders with Brighton & Hove, West Sussex, Kent and Surrey:
- Visit the Brighton & Hove Local Offer
- Visit the West Sussex Local Offer
- Visit the Kent Local Offer
- Visit the Surrey Local Offer
Additional Help and Support
Amaze SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) are a local charity who offer free, independent, and impartial advice for all matters relating to SEND. Contact Amaze SENDIASS:
- Phone: 01273 772 289
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
East Sussex Local Offer directory of services
You can visit our SEND-specific online directory, hosted on East Sussex 1Space, that lists many different services both throughout the county and online. Services include advice, guidance and support groups, activities and events and mental health and wellbeing support among many other topics:
NHS - Health A to Z
While the East Sussex Local Offer aims to provide as much information as possible, there may be some conditions that aren't covered in thorough detail. The NHS website has pages that list all conditions, with information and advice on how to get extra support:
Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms
Some of the terms used on this website are explained on our page, Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms.