Skip to content

This website is only one part of the Local Offer; we also have a directory which you can visit at

EHCP: Moving Into and Out of East Sussex

A vehicle with disabled access at the rear. An adult stood behind a young person who is in a wheelchair, on the vehicle lift.

Moving Into East Sussex

Your previous Local Authority should transfer your child's Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to us:

This should take place on the day of your move.

If they weren’t aware of the move at least 15 working days prior, they should transfer the file within 15 working days of becoming aware of your move.

As soon as you move into the county, you should also inform the Assessment & Planning (A&P) team of your move. You can contact them by:

Please be aware that we cannot begin working on your child’s case until:

Proof of residence can include documents such as:

We will contact you if we need any further documentation. 

We will provide you an Assessment and Planning Officer (APO). This will take place once the transfer of your child’s EHCP file has taken place. The APO will manage your case and find a suitable placement for your child.

Transfer with an EHCP

Following your move, your APO will consult with local schools. This will enable them to find a suitable temporary placement. This will make sure your child is in education as soon as possible. It may be possible for your child to continue attending their existing school if it is practicable to do so.

The school will hold an annual review meeting. This will either be:

You will be able to express a preference for an educational placement for your child. This is part of the review process.

Transfer during statutory assessment

You will need to apply for a school place via the Admissions team. You can find out more by visiting the main East Sussex County Council website:

We will pick up the statutory assessment where your previous Local Authority had got to. We will then decide whether to carry on with the assessment. 

For more information you can visit our page on EHCP: Introduction, Assessment and Process.

Moving Out of East Sussex

If you are moving out of East Sussex and into another Local Authority, you must notify A&P. You must notify them at least 15 days before your move. You must notify A&P if:

You can contact A&P by:

We will transfer your child’s EHCP file to the new Local Authority on the day of your move. If we weren’t aware of the move at least 15 working days prior, we will transfer the file within 15 working days of becoming aware of your move.

Once the transfer of your child’s EHCP file is complete, the new Local Authority will assume full responsibility for your child’s EHCP. This includes finding a suitable educational placement for your child.

Additional Help and Support

Assessment and Planning (A&P)

If you have any questions, please contact the Assessment & Planning (A&P) team by:


Amaze SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) are a local charity. They offer free, independent, and impartial advice for all matters relating to SEND. Contact Amaze SENDIASS by:

Visit the Amaze SENDIASS web page.

Amaze have also created an ‘EHC Plans Fact Sheet’:

East Sussex Local Offer directory of services

You can visit our SEND-specific online directory, hosted on East Sussex 1Space. The directory lists many different services both throughout the county and online. Services cover many topics, including:

Visit the East Sussex Local Offer directory.

NHS - Health A to Z

The East Sussex Local Offer aims to provide as much information as possible. There may be some conditions that aren't covered in thorough detail. The NHS website has pages that list all conditions. These pages provide information and advice on how to get extra support:

Visit the NHS Health A to Z web page.

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

We explain some of the terms used on this website on our page, Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms.

Get in touch