Securing Additional Equipment in Schools
Securing Equipment in Schools
Equipment which supports the teaching of children or young people with SEND is available in every mainstream educational setting (preschool, school or college). These are often called 'assistive technologies'. The equipment your child might require could be either:
- Part of the equipment the school has purchased from their own budget in anticipation of providing education to children with SEND
- Equipment the school has been supported to supply, based on agreement in your child's Education, Health and Care Plan.
Schools will often already have equipment such as:
- ICT for some children with dyslexia, motor skill difficulties or visual impairments
- Raised tables and work stations
- Adapted chairs
- Necessary adaptions to toilet facilities
Schools will be supported by ISEND and health services to provide equipment such as:
- Hearing loops or audiovisual support
- Appropriate furniture
Speak to your child's school, the professionals who support them, or if your child has an EHCP your child's Assessment and Planning Officer (APO), about their equipment requirements.
Additional Help and Support
Amaze SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) are a local charity who offer free, independent, and impartial advice for all matters relating to SEND. Contact Amaze SENDIASS:
East Sussex Local Offer directory of services
You can visit our SEND-specific online directory, hosted on East Sussex 1Space, that lists many different services both throughout the county and online. Services include advice, guidance and support groups, activities and events and mental health and wellbeing support among many other topics:
NHS - Health A to Z
While the East Sussex Local Offer aims to provide as much information as possible, there may be some conditions that aren't covered in thorough detail. The NHS website has pages that list all conditions, with information and advice on how to get extra support:
Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms
Some of the terms used on this website are explained on our page, Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms.