Skip to content

This website is only one part of the Local Offer; we also have a directory which you can visit at

Dyslexia and Support for Literacy

A child smiling while reading a book, with a larger book beside her which has a rocket, a pirate ship and a castle tower coming out of it.


All children develop and learn to read and write at different rates and in different ways.

Some children have an ongoing difficulty with literacy. They may have a ‘specific learning difficulty’ such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or dysgraphia. Others have difficulties that don’t fit neatly into a diagnosis.

If you notice your child is struggling with reading and writing, you can get advice and support from:

Find out more on The Children's Literacy Charity website

Diagnosing Dyslexia

The NHS website outlines the steps taken in diagnosing dyslexia. It also explains what happens during an assessment:

Waiting for a Dyslexia Assessment or Diagnosis

Assessment and diagnosis of dyslexia can include a long wait.

During this time, your child may still need support. 

Schools will use good quality inclusive teaching strategies for all children and young people. These approaches will support learners with a wide range of learning needs. This includes those having difficulty in learning to read and write with or without a diagnosed difficulty.

If your child needs more targeted support, schools use a wide range of interventions to assist their learning. These interventions should be of high quality and assessed on a regular basis. This will ensure they are supporting them to develop the skills they need.

Some schools have a specialist teacher or teaching assistant for dyslexia. 

We have more information on support offered by schools on this website. Visit our page on SEND Support at School (Universally Available Provision).

Czone is an East Sussex County Council website for schools. The website has a page on literacy difficulties and dyslexia in schools. The page is aimed at education settings, but parents and carers might also find it useful to read:

If your child needs extra and more specialist support the school may refer them to CLASS. CLASS stands for Communication, Learning, Autism Support Service (CLASS).

In some circumstances you may want to request an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assessment for your child. To learn more about EHCPs, please visit this websites pages on Education, Health and Care Plans.

Additional Help and Services


Amaze SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) are a local charity. They offer free, independent, and impartial advice for all matters relating to SEND. This includes ADHD. Contact Amaze SENDIASS by:

Visit the Amaze SENDIASS web page.

East Sussex Local Offer directory of services

You can visit our SEND-specific online directory, hosted on East Sussex 1Space. The directory lists many different services both throughout the county and online. Services cover many topics, including:

Visit the East Sussex Local Offer directory.

NHS - Health A to Z

The East Sussex Local Offer aims to provide as much information as possible. There may be some conditions that aren't covered in thorough detail. The NHS website has pages that list all conditions. These pages provide information and advice on how to get extra support:

Visit the NHS Health A to Z web page.

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

We explain some of the terms used on this website on our page, Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms.

Get in touch