Skip to content

You can use the tabs, search function or sitemap at the top of each page to navigate this website. All text on this site has a speaker symbol next to it. This symbol will allow the text to be read aloud.

Housing, Income and Benefits

Two adults and two children stood outside a house.

Housing and Accommodation

My family, Our Needs has a web page that provides information on all the different types of housing for people with a disability.

The main East Sussex County Council website has pages on housing, including temporary accommodation and supported housing. This includes housing with round-the-clock care for disabled adults and those who are vulnerable.

Income and Benefits

Benefits change as a young person becomes an adult. There are adult welfare benefits that young people and their family may be entitled to. Parents and legal guardians receive child benefit for every child they are responsible for who is under the age of 16. This changes to under the age of 20 if they are in approved education or training (this means they are on a college or a recognised training course).

You may also find it helpful to read the guidance held on Contact, a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) information website. They have a page specifically on 16+ benefits:

Parents and legal guardians can also claim tax credits. There are ‘top-up’ amounts for these benefits if the child or young person has a disability and meet the eligibility criteria.

Families might be eligible to claim Carer's Allowance but it is means tested on your weekly income.

Disability Payments

The main benefits for adults with a disability are Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). DLA and PIP are benefits paid to cover the extra costs of a person’s disability or health needs. They are both split into two components: 

DLA is available to children under 16. PIP is available for anyone aged 16-64 with a disability:

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

ESA gives you:

You can visit the Government website to find out more.

Personal Budgets

A Personal Budget means that someone who requires additional support or adaptations to their home is allocated a pot of money to choose and pay for the care and support they want. 

It could be funded by a Local Authority, a Personal Health Budget (if the person is funded by NHS Continuing Healthcare) or it could be a joint (integrated) personal budget combining health and social care funding.

There are different ways you can take and manage a Personal Budget:

Young people can receive direct payments from the age of 16.

You can discuss your Personal Budget with whoever supports you from Children's Disability Team, or NHS.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants are funded by your local borough council (such as Eastbourne, Lewes, Rother or Wealden), and can support adaptations in the home to make it more suitable for disabilities. Though the grant is funded by the borough councils, it can only be accessed through a needs assessments carried out by Adult Social Care at East Sussex County Council:

You can visit the Government website to find out more.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or unable to work.

Your monthly payment is based on your circumstances. or example, your earnings or household income, housing costs and any health condition or disability you may have. The government website outlines how universal credit works, and how you might be affected:

Financial Advice and Guidance

Amaze SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service) can provide income and benefits advice on their local helpline. They can refer to their benefits service where required. You can find their contact details on their SENDIASS web page:

Amaze also have a web page sharing tips for helping young people with additional needs understand money:

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

Some of the terms used on this website are explained on our page, Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms.

Get in touch