Skip to content

This website is only one part of the Local Offer; we also have a directory which you can visit at

College, Courses and Education

A photo being taken of an adult and a child who is sat in a wheelchair, in front of a college. Another child is stood holding a book in the background.


From year 9 onwards, it’s time to start thinking about what you want to do after you leave school. You need to stay in some form of education or training until you are 18 years of age.

Your choices are often dependent on:

The Careers East Sussex website goes into more detail about this, including options such as:

You can visit the Careers East Sussex website to find out more:

We have also developed an online resource to support parents and carers with the planning and preparation for their young person’s transition into post 16 and adulthood. You can use this guide with your parents or carers or on your own. 

Youth Employability Service (YES)

YES is a free impartial service which offers education and careers support and guidance to young people in the East Sussex area. They work with young people aged 16-18 who are:

They can support up to 25 for young people with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

East Sussex County Council commission YES.

Finding a College in East Sussex

Careers East Sussex

The Careers East Sussex website allows users to search for courses from a range of colleges throughout East Sussex. You can search by provider, sector, qualification, level or area:

Independent Colleges and 6th Forms

Independent special schools and colleges are self-managed. They are not directly funded by the Local Authority. Accessing them can be a different process to mainstream settings.

You can find a list of independent special schools and post-16 institutions (including colleges) on the main government website:

SEND College Transport

A vehicle with disabled access at the rear. An adult stood behind a young person who is in a wheelchair, on the vehicle lift.

If a young person with an EHCP is unable to travel independently to their college due to their SEND, they can apply for post 16 travel assistance. Their application and family circumstances will be assessed to determine whether there are barriers to stop them from getting to college without assistance.

East Sussex County Council's website contains a page that provides more information and a way of applying:

Bus travel

Anyone aged 5 and over with a qualifying disability can apply for a disabled person's bus pass. This pass allows for free off-peak travel on local buses. The main East Sussex County Council site provides more information. This includes the meaning of a qualifying disability, and how to apply:

Train travel

There are train discounts and railcards available to those with disabilities, and for their companion. The main East Sussex County Council site provides more information:

Southeast Communities Rail Partnership offer a ‘Try a Train’ experience. This provides an opportunity for those who lack confidence travelling by train. It allows them to visit their train stations and to experience a train journey.

They are for people who have any form of disability or access needs who wish to build their confidence when travelling. The trips are also available to those who may encounter other barriers to travelling. For example, senior citizens, non-English speakers, low income families.

University and Higher Education

Universities have a statutory duty to try their best to support students who have SEND. This can include things such as:

We call these changes “reasonable adjustments”. They make sure that young people with SEND have the same access to a university education.

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), this will no longer apply when you go to university. It could still be a good idea to share your plan with the university you want to go to. This will allow them to understand your needs. It will also help them put the right reasonable adjustments in place.

UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service), is an independent charity, and the UK's shared admissions service for higher education. We recommend you visit their site if you have any queries about applying for and attending university. They provide lots of useful information:

The UCAS site also has further insight on what support young people with SEND can expect from universities:

Supported Employment, Apprenticeships and Internships

This website also has a page which explains the process and options available for young people. This includes:

Visit our page on Supported Employment, Apprenticeships and Internships to find out more.

Additional Help and Support


Amaze SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) are a local charity. They offer free, independent, and impartial advice for all matters relating to SEND. Contact Amaze SENDIASS by:

Visit the Amaze SENDIASS web page.

East Sussex Local Offer directory of services

You can visit our SEND-specific online directory, hosted on East Sussex 1Space. The directory lists many different services both throughout the county and online. Services cover many topics, including:

Visit the East Sussex Local Offer directory.

NHS - Health A to Z

The East Sussex Local Offer aims to provide as much information as possible. There may be some conditions that aren't covered in thorough detail. The NHS website has pages that list all conditions. These pages provide information and advice on how to get extra support:

Visit the NHS Health A to Z web page.

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

We explain some of the terms used on this website on our page, Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms.

Get in touch