Skip to content

Please note: every line of text on this website has a speaker symbol next to it. This will allow you to listen to an audiotext if reading it is difficult.

Wellbeing and Mental Health

Sussex Mental Health Line

For telephone support and information call 0800 0309 500

The Sussex Mental Healthline is a 24/7 telephone service offering listening support, advice, information and signposting to anyone experiencing difficulties with their mental health or relatives, friends, carers and healthcare professionals. You do not need an appointment.

If you need support right now, this is a good place to start.

To visit their website, please click the link below:

Counselling via Text Message


Poor wellbeing or social and emotional mental health can be a part of a child's Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND).  

Most wellbeing and mental health support services can adapt their service to specific SEND needs. Some are specialist in different types of SEND.

There are a number of potential wellbeing and mental health services that a child could have access to. The child and their parents or carers should identify the support they think is best suited to them. A child could have different forms of wellbeing or mental health support at different times in their life. It is really important to talk to your child’s teacher and/or the school SENCo, or a health professional such as a GP, if you are concerned about your child’s mental health and wellbeing. Together, you can discuss the best way forward to support you and your child.

 Mental health or wellbeing support could be:

This page gives some advice on different kinds of wellbeing or mental health support and provides useful links to help children, young people, parents and carers find the right support for them.

Wellbeing Support in Schools

Every school in East Sussex will have their own approach to supporting students with their wellbeing and Social and Emotional Mental Health (SEMH). Parents and carers should speak to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) about what support is available in their child's school.

The majority of schools have a mental health lead and about a 1/4 of schools in East Sussex have a mental health lead governor. 

Types of support available in school could include:

All schools must publish a Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report on their school website. This report should also outline what support is available for Social and Emotional Mental Health in the school. Most schools use a template for this report and you will find section 15 includes the question: 'What support is there for children’s overall well-being and their emotional, mental and social development?"

You may wish to read this report to have an idea of the support your child's school could offer.

To understand how schools organise and decide what Social and Emotional Mental Health support they provide you may also wish to read the East Sussex guide for schools (please note: this is a school-focussed document rather than a parent or carer one, but can still prove useful to read):

If you would like advice or guidance on speaking to your child's school about what they can offer, the Special Educational Needs and Disability, Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) at Amaze, provide a telephone advice and guidance line for parents and carers in East Sussex. Amaze SENDIASS is a parent-led independent advice and support service for parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-25, and for young people themselves. This service is free and can be contacted on:

Alternatively, you can visit their website for more information:

Group of parents looking confused

Mental Health Support Teams

The East Sussex Mental Health Support Teams (MHSTs) provide short-term support for children and young people affected by mild to moderate mental health needs. The evidence-based interventions are delivered by Education Mental Health Practitioners (EMHPs). They are East Sussex County Council teams with close links to the NHS. 

They work across a number of schools in East Sussex. For a list, please follow the link below:

The main referral pathway into the service is via the school Link Person. MHSTs will also accept direct referrals from certain services and professionals, including the East Sussex School Health Service and i-Rock.

Please note: MHSTs do not work with children who have a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

To visit these websites, please follow the below links:

East Sussex School Health

East Sussex School Health Service has a focus on promoting the health and wellbeing of all school-aged children. They provide a number of in-school health programmes and initiatives. They can complete a health assessment with you and your child to identify the most appropriate intervention and potential outcome and we will work with you to achieve this.

All schools have a School Health Team. 

School Health Teams are led by registered, qualified nurses who have a specialist community public health degree. The team consists of community staff nurses, assistant practitioners, health improvement staff, school nurse assistants and administrators.

To find out more, please visit their website:

Support Plans, Provision Map & Setting Based Support Plans

Wellbeing and Mental Health Support

There are various services throughout East Sussex and online that seek to help children and young people with their emotional, psychological and mental health. Within this section we have listed some of those services, and at the bottom of this section we have linked to our directory that offers further support.

Please note: some of these services only operate in certain areas of East Sussex. Please visit their websites, which are linked to below, to find out more.

ISEND Educational Psychology Service

The ISEND Educational Psychology Service (EPS) focuses primarily on the learning, social and emotional development of children & young people aged 0-25 years, within their educational setting. They may provide advice, make referrals to other services or provide some one to one support. Educational Psychology is accessed via referral by your child's school. Speak to your child's SENCo if you think this is the best option for them.

To find out more, please visit the listing on our directory:

Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) 

CAMHS provide specialist NHS services and support to children and young people up to the age of 18, and their families and carers who are experiencing difficulties with their emotional, psychological and mental health. They have teams of staff across Sussex and in the community who can help you and your family to get the support that you need.

The CAMHS website provides a wide range of information, advice, resources and more, including:

Health in Mind

Health in Mind are dedicated to improving mental wellbeing. They deliver free courses, online programmes and 1:1 talking therapies for adults over the age of 18 in East Sussex. You can visit their website by clicking the link below:


Young people might also like to have a look at the i-Rock centre:

"i-Rock can offer you advice and support on emotional and mental wellbeing, jobs, education and housing for young people aged 14-25."

They have drop-ins in Hastings, Eastbourne and Newhaven and offer virtual appointments:


A free online counselling project for young people aged 12-18 years who live in East Sussex. Please click the link below to visit their website:


A digital wellbeing service for young people in Sussex run by YMCA DownsLink Group. Please click the link below to visit their website:

Additional Health and Wellbeing Support Services

The East Sussex Local Offer directory, on 1Space, lists many more mental health and wellbeing support services both online and throughout East Sussex. You can visit our directory by clicking the link below:

Please note: all links within this section open the websites in a new tab.

Finding SEND Suitable Counselling

There are counselling and therapy directory websites that can help you find the right support for particular ages and needs. 

For example, the Psychology Today website has options to search for specific help such as 'autism' or 'ADHD'. To visit the Psychology Today website to see counsellors and therapists working in East Sussex, please follow this link:

Other counselling directories include:

Please note: all links in this section open the websites in a new tab.

Additional Advice and Guidance


Amaze have a page dedicated to mental health and wellbeing, which includes signposting and fact sheets for East Sussex and Brighton & Hove. You can view these by clicking the links below:


Amaze Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) are a local service who offer an impartial advice line for children, young people, parents and carers on all aspects of SEND. This service is free and can be contacted on:

Alternatively, you can visit their website for more information:

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

Some of the terms used on this website are explained on our page, 'Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms':

Get in touch