Skip to content

Please note: every line of text on this website has a speaker symbol next to it. This will allow you to listen to an audiotext if reading it is difficult.

Physical Difficulties and Mobility

Children Playing Frisbee Outside


All schools, in line with the SEND Code Of Practice and the Equality Act 2010, make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with physical and mobility difficulties are not discriminated against in their settings. They take an inclusive and accessible approach. Accessibilty plans are written by schools and reviewed every three years. These are published on their websites.

Motor co-ordination is the ability to control your body’s movement.

Gross motor skills need whole body movement and use the large muscles. Skills such as walking, running, climbing, kicking, jumping and balancing are gross motor skills.

Fine motor skills need controlled movement of the fingers and hands. Skills such as doing up buttons, threading, drawing and writing are fine motor skills.

If your child is having difficulties, you can get advice and support from your child’s:

Schools can offer activities and programmes which support the development of these skills. However, if these have been tried for a sustained period of time, without improvement, the school might wish to discuss a referral to Children’s Integrated Therapy and Equipment Service (CITES) with you, in order to get further advice.

Children’s Integrated Therapy and Equipment Service (CITES)

The Children's Integrated Therapy and Equipment Service (CITES) is a specialist service that provides occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and physiotherapy to children and young people aged 0-16 years and 16-19 years if in full-time education.

As a specialist therapy service, they provide training and guidance to enable pre-schools, schools and other settings support children with:

CITES loan specialist equipment to families, as well as schools and other settings supporting children with additional needs.

Click below to view the service leaflet for more information:

You can also click on the links below to view information on what support can be offered by:

Accessibility Around East Sussex

AccessAble is a website that provides accessibility information for venues across East Sussex and the UK, which includes shops, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, railway stations, hotels, colleges, universities, hospitals and more. AccessAble can be used to find wheelchair friendly venues or check out disabled access and what facilities are available.

To find out more, you can visit their website by clicking the link below:

Disability Payments

The main benefits for children and young adults with a disability are:

DLA and PIP are benefits paid to cover the extra costs of a person’s disability or health needs. They are both split into two components:

To find out more, including eligibility criteria, please click the relevant link below:

Services for Physical Difficulties and Mobility

Millbrook Healthcare Group

The Millbrook Healthcare Group provide healthcare services on behalf of the NHS and local authorities for:

To find out more, you can visit their website by clicking the link below:

East Sussex 1Space

The East Sussex Local Offer directory, hosted on 1Space, highlights various care and support services both throughout East Sussex and online.

These services include activities and events, advice and support groups, and ways to ensure individuals can attain obtain the equipment they need, whether that's a wheelchair, or the installation of equipment around the home. To visit the directory, please click the link below:

There are various ways in which you can look for services that help with physical difficulties and mobility on 1Space. Such as:

To find out more on how to use 1Space, please click the link below:

If there is a service that isn't listed on 1Space that you think could be, you can let us know by emailing us on:

Advice and Guidance

If you would like to talk to someone about any aspect of your child's SEND, the Amaze Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) offers impartial, confidential advice. This service is free and can be contacted on:

Alternatively, you can visit their website for more information:

Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms

Some of the terms used on this website are explained on our page, 'Glossary of East Sussex SEND Terms':

Get in touch